Status: Full-time, Exempt
Reports to: Executive Director
Supervises: Development & External Relations Manager, Development & External Relations Coordinator, Grant writer consultant and related volunteers and interns
Providence Children’s Museum (PCM) is seeking a Director of Development and External Relations. Reporting to the Executive Director and serving as a member of the PCM Leadership Team, the position leads development, fundraising, member cultivation and manages marketing, communications, and public relations.
The Director of Development and External Relations plans, oversees, manages and directs all philanthropic revenue generating channels, including institutional support from corporations and foundations, individual and major donors, grant funding opportunities as well as events and planned giving.
They will also make the annual fund targeted to individual donors more robust, strengthen and expand corporate relationships and foundation funders, increase revenue from the annual events especially through sponsorship, and determine other channels, that will contribute to PCM’s organizational sustainability.
The Director of Development and External Relations will also manage marketing and communications and is responsible for messaging, branding, advertising, and communications efforts on behalf of PCM. They will develop an integrated communications program that includes comprehensive messaging across all print, web, social media, and outreach materials and is responsible for the development, integration, and implementation of a broad range of strategic branding, communications, and public events/activities to promote PCM with a goal of increased public awareness, visitation, and donor support.
• Strategically lead, manage, and execute a plan for PCM to sustain and grow its revenue base; inspire and motivate the entire Development and Communications/Marketing team to contribute their efforts to effective fundraising to meet the annual operating budget as well as future projects.
• Build a comprehensive individual giving effort that provides multiple opportunities for interaction and education to support a range of projects.
• Ensure that all fundraising efforts are well organized, well executed and lay the foundation for future increases in donor support.
• Ensure that donor management systems are implemented and fully utilized and that donor cultivation strategies are fully supported through appropriate technology.
• Assure the strong management of the donor database, integrity and accuracy of the information, and the prompt, accurate acknowledgement, and recognition of donor contributions.
• Deliver the strategy and provide the appropriate oversight to continuously improve the operations and related processes needed to effectively support all fundraising and marketing initiatives.
• Develop and manage the annual fundraising budget and work plan, track and report results to the Executive Director and the Board.
• Manage and support the Marketing and Communications team’s efforts to articulate and persuasively disseminate PCM’s mission in written and verbal communications.
• Ensure strategic marketing and communications efforts are effectively raising the level of awareness and knowledge of PCM and its offerings and our earned revenue goals; set annual goals and monitor and adjust outreach as needs to ensure we hit our targets.
• Participate on the senior management team to provide leadership and direction for PCM’s policies, programs, and operations.
• A minimum of seven years of experience in fundraising with progressive experience primarily in, with some experience in marketing and communications, public relations, and member and volunteer services, or some subset of these functional areas. A proven track record of building and leading a department.
• Education: A bachelor’s degree is required. An advanced degree and/or post-graduate training in fundraising are preferred.
• The successful candidate will have the following professional skills and experience:
• An organized and strategic approach to development with experience in managing, developing and coordinating successful fundraising efforts and a successful track record of setting and meeting realistic fundraising goals.
• Experience managing a team of development, marketing and communications, and/or public relations professionals. Proven ability to mentor, train, and develop staff. Ability to create and maintain a collegial and positive work environment with high morale, professional standards and productivity.
• Demonstrated success and hands-on management experience of functionally diverse staff, including mentoring and providing professional development opportunities.
• A strong desire to serve all our visitors, donors, volunteers, sponsors, and others who are encountered equally regardless of their race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, gender identity and/or sexual orientation.
• A track record as an effective communicator who is articulate and persuasive in written and spoken communications — adept at crafting proposals, donor correspondence and materials and making presentations to a variety of audiences; and
• The ability to partner effectively and diplomatically with the Executive Director and key members of the Governing Board in the development process, as appropriate.
• Experience working with a POS CRM/ preferably Altru.